'Birds' Home Learning Ideas
Visits and places to explore: (the links in green are free attractions!)
- Aviaries - There are many around Surrey including Hounslow Urban Farm, Brent Lodge Animal Park, Bird World and Huxley's Birds of Prey Experience.
- Visiting places such as Frensham Ponds, Pains Hill Park, Savill Gardens and Virginia Water looking for wildlife in the trees! There are some great wildlife checklists that can be found here that you can download, print and tick off on your adventures! The ticked off checklist would also be a real talking point for our show and tell sessions! Visiting somewhere with a lake, pond, stream or river is also a perfect opportunity to talk to your little ones about water safety!
- There is also a local poultry show in Wraysbury which runs once every month (every 2nd Monday of the month). Within this 'show' there stalls selling poultry, fresh eggs, owl handlers etc. There is a small entrance fee of £1.00 per adult and children enter for free - it would be a great evening for your child to ask questions to the experts! The leaflet with details is below. Kind members of the poultry group have also offered for us to borrow their own equipment to allow us to hatch chicks free of charge - please do support their shows as they have supported us!
*Please note as much as we encourage these wonderful visits and think they are fantastic learning experiences, if you wish to visit these please do so at weekends, evenings or during the holidays - we really don't want your little ones to miss any school learning!*
Activities to do at home: Click on the text below the pictures to find resources and instructions as to how to carry out these lovely bird related activities at home.
DIY Bird Feed! Egg Number Bonds! Bird Songs & Poems Stained Glass Bird! Owl Number Recognition
Great books linked to birds: (books in green can be loaned from Staines or Ashford Library)
- Penguin Problems by Kathryn Lamb - story book
- British Birds by Victoria Munson - fact file
- The ferry birds by Helen Dunmore - story book
- Naked Trevor by Rebecca Elliott - story book
- Owls by Valeria Bowden - fact file
- Two nests by Laurence Anholt
- Penguins by Liz Pichon
- Owl Babies by Martin Waddell
- Rosie's Walk by Pat Hutchins