Home Page

Thorpe Lea Primary School

'A dedicated community working together, nuturing a safe, happy school where all children can achieve their potential'


Year 2 Football Tournament.


On Friday 18th March, Year 1 and Year 2 students from Thorpe Lea attended the North Runnymede Football Festival which was being held at St Ann's Heath Junior School. Mr Green took a team of 8 children to represent the school. Harry, Reuben and Connor from Year 2 and Rhyce, AJ, Marvin, Sergei and Harrison from Year 1. Seven schools from the area were in attendance with each match 6 minutes long and in a 6 a side format.

First up, the boys faced ChristChurch, unfortunately they fell behind to an early goal and despite his best efforts Rhyce couldn't stop the shot going in. After conceding the first goal Thorpe Lea had the ball in their opponents half from almost the entire game. Harry had a couple of shots on goal which went wide and Marvin and Sergei made some great challenges so keep the pressure on ChristChurch. The travelling Thorpe Lea fans AKA 'The Parents' thought that the boys had grabbed an equalising goal after the ball ended up in the net however the referee judged it had gone through the side netting, the game finished 1-0 to ChristChurch despite the boys best efforts.

Their second game was the most difficult of their 6 games as they faced last year's Champions Thorpe. Connor now took over in goal but the Thorpe strikers were in fine form and sped into a 3-0 lead quite early into the game. The Thorpe defence was really strong and chances were pretty limited and despite AJ and Harry taking up some good positions in their opponents half they couldn't find a goal.

Next up for Thorpe Lea was Englefield Green. It was another really close game and the boys again had a lot of possession. Sergei was instrumental in the performance and it felt like he was all over the pitch putting in some superb tackles. Connor kept the the Englefield attacks out with some great positioning and Rhyce and Harrison also defended very well. With a few minutes left in the game Thorpe Lea finally got their deserved goal as Reuben slipped in behind the defence and slotted the goal past the keeper. Reuben's goal proved to be the winning one as Thorpe Lea earned their first victory with a 1-0 win.

Their 4th game agains Trumps Green was probably the most exciting of the tournament. Again more good play from AJ and Marvin who were very determined to get the ball, and Sergei once more was covering almost every blade of grass on the pitch. It was Reuben who opened the scoring after getting behind the Trumps Green defence and powering the ball past their keeper. Thorpe Lea doubled their lead after a great effort from Sergei from the right that flashed across the goalkeeper and into the far post. With a healthy lead Reuben almost made it 3-0 with a powerful shot from outside the box which hit the top of the bar. The final minutes of the game were a bit nervy though after a clearance from the boys defence hit a Trump Green player and whizzed past Connor to make the score 2-1. The boys managed to hold on to gain their second win of the afternoon.

The 5th and 6th games against Manorcroft and Lyne and Longcross were really tight. Against Manorcroft chances were pretty slim, Harry shot from distance over the bar but that game finished 0-0. On to the last game again most of the match was played in the midfield. Late on Rhyce went on a super solo run all the way to the left hand side of the box but nobody could finish the chance after his pass. Again the boys in defence did a great job and Connor kept the visitors at bay and kept another clean sheet in their second straight 0-0 draw.

The boys done themselves proud today, 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses but the main thing was that they all played with huge smiles on their faces and had a great time. The boys were all awarded with a T-shirt after the game. Again it was Thorpe who were champions on the day with Englefield Green the runners up. A big thanks goes out to the staff and students of St Ann's Heath School who put on a tournament that all of the children involved will remember. Also another big thanks to Mr Green who trained the boys and managed them at the tournament.