Phonics Support Websites
Suggested phonics websites to support parents:
At Thorpe Lea Primary School and Nursery, we use Ruth Miskin's Read Write Inc. phonics programme to teach children how to read and write. Please follow the link here which will provide information about how we teach young children to read and write and how you can support your child's phonics at home.
Oxford Owl - ebooks
1) Follow this link www.oxfordowl.co.uk
2) Click ‘join us’, giving an email address and password. You will then be sent a confirmation email
3) When you receive the email, click on the browser when indicated
4) Select ‘For Home’
5) Select ‘Reading’
6) Click on the red circle that reads ‘Our 250 free eBooks’
7) Select the age range/book types/series
Woodlands Junior School
An excellent school website with lots of educational games and activities.
Dyslexia website providing information and practical help for parents of children with reading difficulties. http://www.dyslexics.org.uk
The International Foundation for Effective Reading Instruction (IFERI) - aims to raise standards of literacy in the English language worldwide. http://www.iferi.org/
A great selection of games that link well with games in Letters and Sounds.
Words and Pictures
This is an archived website and is no longer updated. http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/wordsandpictures/index.shtml
Big Brown Bear
To enable children to create their own words using ‘magnetic’ letters.
Apps for tablets to support phonics