Ideas for activities at home linked to the Gingerbread Man:
- Bake gingerbread men - write a shopping list, weigh ingredients, label / talk about parts of the body, count candy buttons, control piping icing, etc.
- Build a Gingerbread Man's house - Use biscuits, sweets and icing to build your Gingerbread Man a home. Talk about the different shapes, sizes, colours of the biscuits. Discuss what they are going to use the different biscuits for and why, "What biscuit would make a good window?", "Why have you chosen the round, circle biscuit?", "How many biscuits will you need for the roof?", etc.
- Trip to the park - Use the phrase "Run, run, as fast as you can, you can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man" to encourage your child to move in a range of ways. For example, stomp as loud as you can, hop as high as you can, walk backwards as slowly as you can, etc.
- Retell the story - Encourage your child to retell the story. "Where are the animals?", "Who chased the gingerbread man before the fox?", "What did the Old Women say?", etc.
- Trip to the Bakers - Visit the Bakers to discuss and explore the different products on offer. Remember to use all your senses!
The Gingerbread on the loose ... collection by Laura Murray
- ... in the school
- ... on the fire truck
- ... at the zoo
- ... at Christmas
More fabulous books about gingerbread -
The Gingerbread Pirates - Kristin Kladstrup
10 Gingerbread men - Ruth Galloway
Gingerbread Baby - Jan Brett
The Gingerbread Cowboy - Janet Squires
The Gingerbread Girl - Lisa Campbell Ernst